Monday, November 28, 2011

An Ode to Like a Little

So I hope everyone had a great Thanksgiving break!  I didn't, I was sick, but that's okay I can live vicariously through everyone else.  Now we're back and realizing it's time for finals and misery and I personally am going to hide in my room and watch Once Upon a Time while hanging up Christmas lights until I'm forced to actually do work.  These three awkward weeks between breaks are some of my favorite, they bring back fond memories of many things including midnight breakfast, snow, Club Olin, and Like a Little.

Now, around this time last year I was sleeping through French class, excited about the first snow and looking forward to finals week.  This is because I didn't have any finals during finals week, but I was too lazy to figure that out when my mom was bugging me to book my flight home.  As a result I sat in my room for a week watching the snow out my window and Law and Order SVU, eating chocolate, and bothering my roommate who was manically studying.  But there was one thing above all that kept me entertained through finals week, even more so than my needlepoint project.  It was...Like a Little.  DUN DUN.

Now if you look at it from an objective standpoint, Like a Little never stood a chance, bad timing bit the LAL fad in the ass, but it had a hell of a run.  There were a few brave souls who tried to LAL across coasts but they were far too sentimental for what LAL had become and were shot down by bitter single people who hate love (hey-o!).

I'm gunning for LAL to make a comeback this year and there are some solid reasons why.  Also I like making lists, they're an easy way out of actually writing something.

1.)  I need a new procrastination website and LAL had new posts like every five seconds.  Always something new and slightly disturbing.

2.)  Remember how fun it was to be sitting in Peirce and looking around to try and figure out who was being Like a Littled?  Same goes for Olin and Gund Commons.  Also the fact that it spawned a new verb, "Like a Littled" you have to have some serious power to get your own verb.

3.)  I will be the first to admit that I scanned LAL every day seeing if I was Like a Littled.  That's not weird, right?  Nothing wrong with a little self confidence boost.  Or self confidence killer.

4.)  It's a great way to practice your creative writing and get in the holiday spirit at the same time!  But let's try to think of something more imaginative than Santa going up your chimney, that was so last year.

My only problem with Like a Little is that it allows people to avoid actually talking to each other about how attracted they are.  Which in the end is sort of counter productive to what LAL is trying to do.  I get the whole "anonymous flirting" thing but come on, these are the last few weeks of the semester, might as well get laid.  I guarantee it will keep you warmer than that ugly Christmas sweater.  Even if it is ironic.

This is why I'm also proposing an idea for a new website:  Like a Little Too Much.  You anonymously send your cleverly worded sentence directly to that person's email where he or she can either agree to meet you or reject you and rip your soul out.  And when you're rejected it's posted on the website so I have something funny to look at.  Like America's Funniest Home Videos, we all like to laugh at pain.

No comments:

Post a Comment