Friday, January 13, 2012

If Everyone Cut Their Hair, Would You?

The inevitable has happened.  After years of getting my hair cut shorter and shorter, I have reached the point of no return.  My hair is too short.  And not in an edgy "I like girls now" kind of way; in a shrub kind of way.  I keep going back and forth between panic attacks of not being castable until it grows out and panic attacks of never hooking up again.  Either way, panic and a dry spell.

I have a theory that most girls at Kenyon will chop off all their hair at some point in their four years, or at least seriously contemplate it.  Now, I have become a self-fulfilling prophesy and I have to admit it's really nice to roll out of bed, comb my hair with my fingers and be done.  But I am nowhere near used to what I look like without hair to cover my neck, so in avoiding all the mirrors in my house I have found a plethora of new time to listen to more 80's music and contemplate the positives of a not-so-flattering new haircut.

1.  I won't get asked out in coffee shops by men over 50.  If you're using the line "come here often?"  you're too old for me, sweetie.

2.  I won't get asked out by men at all.  I can explore the uncharted territory of looking like a pre-pubescent boy.  I'll drive all the tween Twilight fans crazy.

3.  I don't have to brush my hair.  Now I will finally know what it's like to be a guy and just roll out of bed and head to class.  I can also give myself a killer mohawk.

4.  My neck will never get overheated.

5.  If I wear a hat I can look bald.  (Not sure if that's a plus, but it's an interesting effect)

6.  Short hair makes you feel spunky.  I've never really felt spunky before and while I still haven't achieved manic pixie dream girl status, the wannabe femme fatale in me has officially left the building.

Another plus that's sort of unrelated: winter break is over!  After a month at home I am more than ready to return to Kenyon, the land of short hair and flannel.  And the 8 hours of travel time are going to be so much better now that I don't have to worry about messing up my hair when I fall asleep on my tray table.  




No comments:

Post a Comment