Friday, December 16, 2011

The Big Friendly Elephant in the Room

Hey you!  Yes, you!  Congrats on surviving finals!  I just finished and am in a weird manic state of too tired to function yet still don't feel like its okay to sleep for 17 hours until I have to get on the shuttle to CMH.  I have in the past week broken two mugs and a terrarium, downed approximately 100 cups of coffee, slept a total of 7 hours, and read more on modernist theater than anyone ever cared to know.  So manic is kind of my thing.  I make it work.

However, I have had time to peruse Facebook during my week from hell and I don't know about you, but one video in particular kept blowing up my newsfeed.  In my opinion there's only so many times people can "share" a video until it's been on everyone's newsfeed and should stop being posted.

So without further ado, let me share with you a video you've probably already seen too many times:


Here's the thing.  I already knew this.  This was already established 20 years ago:

Sidenote:  You only really need to watch the first minute of this clip, the rest is superfluous.  Except it really is a great movie...with a really great soundtrack.  So maybe you should watch the rest of the clip.  And then go to Netflix, I think it's still on instant.  It's not like you're doing anything better with your time right now.


So, I totally believe this!  This is not even up for debate!  Men and women simply cannot be just friends no matter how many girls refuse to pull their heads out of the sand.  Either he was attracted to you or you were attracted to him at some point, I don't care when or for how long but it happened.  Personally I have never been able to have a male "just friend."  It's kind of like a sneak attack, one day you're best buds and the next day you're waking to up a foggy memory of making out to the soft background noise of Titanic.  Again.

That being said, being "friends with benefits" is simply not feasible either.  Sorry I'm not sorry, there's no way that works unless you're a heartless monster or a man.  Emotions always get in the way.  Sex gets in the way of emotions, emotions get in the way of sex, the world is round.  What else is new?

Now, go home and hook up with someone new, we've all been dealing with the incestuous hook-up culture that is Kenyon for too long.  I bet that "friend" from high school would be willing.

2 comments:

  1. "there's no way that works unless you're a heartless monster or a man" HAHAHA

    I disagree with the video, not because it's false but because it assumes friendship can't have an element of attraction in it. Sure, he'd have sex with you given the option, but that doesn't mean he's not your friend. Feelings of attraction can go away (or at least become completely beside-the-point) if you neglect them long enough or find someone you like more. I've seen it happen. Also I do have some guy friends that aren't attracted to me (and vice versa). Maybe it's different depending on what social circles you move in.

    This is Valerie from high school by the way, still enjoying your blogs! Didn't see the video in my feed strangely enough.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey Valerie! I'm so glad you like reading my blog!

    Yes I can see that argument, but even if the attraction subsides or is ignored it is still a different relationship from one between two people who are absolutely not attracted to each other at all. Even if subtly. I just think the fact that one or both parties would sleep with the other if given the chance changes the dynamic. But it's true that it might be different depending on your social circles.

    Nice to hear from you!

    ReplyDelete